nouveau Nowell notions

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Wed Sep 9 20:50:07 PDT 1998

>James Devine wrote:
>
>>Nader's clean, but he blew his
>>chances to have an impact (a marginal one) by not taking the whole
>>enterprise seriously.
>
>Nader isn't persoanlly corrupt, of course; quite the contrary, he's
>creepily righteous. But one reason he didn't actually campaign for the
>presidency was almost certainly that he didn't want to reveal the sources
>of his funding, notably trial lawyers, who aren't the most popular people
>around. An alum of the Nader orbit told me that he's got a foundation setup
>to disguise the source of the contributions, so he can claim plausible
>deniability.
>
>Doug

I don't know about his foundation setup, but Nader has been pretty forthright in his support of and affinity with plaintiff lawyers and he has been very vocal in his opposition to the business-backed tort "reform." He is even trying to set up a museum for plaintiff law in Connecticut. I don't think it would surprise anybody to learn that his organizations receive support from trial lawyers.

-- Jim Cullen

---------------------------------------- THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST James M. Cullen, Editor P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517 Phone: 512-447-0455 Internet: populist at usa.net Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter ----------------------------------------