King Leopold's Ghost; We Charge Genocide

Thu Sep 10 10:53:37 PDT 1998

I stated a death toll of 9-17 million, twice that of Hochschild's 4-8 million (according to internet reviews). But I have not looked at the literature in almost five years and will have to recheck where my higher number comes from and what time period it includes. There is an important review of some of the more important debates in 'counting' in the recent Lingua Franca. By the way, to Mat F, I was wondering what you thought of the analysis of the importance of the slave trade in David Landes latest book. Darity is in the bibliography but does not seem to be engaged in the text. best, rakesh