Russian human capital flight

Sat Sep 12 07:22:15 PDT 1998

Though I am not affiliated with the institution in my email address, I have been able to strike up some conversations with the post docs here in the sciences. While the Indian students seem hardly decided about whether they will return home, the students from Russia in particular seem pretty convinced that there is no going back; they see no future at all. So they hang on to these rather low paying post docs, supplying the labor cheap just as funding in the pure sciences takes hits due to the end of the Cold War. Cold War funding has produced an excess of scientists for whom there is no longer any demand and they now find themselves competing (ironically enough) with the Russians and other Eastern Europeans for these $30,000 short term post-docs. It's a bad situation (a lot of uncertainty and unemployment), and I have already met one Indian chap who chucked it to become a financial consultant at McKinsey. At any rate, the mass exodus of scientific talent from Russia, intent on never returning, may prove as, if not more, devastating than the capital flight. best, rakesh