expectoration

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Sun Sep 13 13:59:07 PDT 1998

Paul Rosenberg writes: >... I've just finished reading *The Spitting Image: Myth Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam.* by Jerry Lembcke. It's a brilliant debunking of the myth that anti-war protesters spat on returning Vietnam vets, along with an analysis of the sources and context for the cultural production of the myth, as well as it's fuction during the Gulf War period--when Lembcke first confronted the myth, drawing on his own background as a Vietnam vet and memeber of Vietnam Veterans Against the War.<

When Jerry presented his thesis in the L.A. TIMES, some Vietnam veteran wrote in to say that he -- the vet -- had been spat upon. I doubt the guy was lying.

Nonetheless, I think Jerry's thesis still makes sense: a little incident got blown into big mythology, especially after 1980, years after it occurred.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html