Hey Alec Ramsdell! liked your Big Star(r) song

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Sun Sep 13 19:54:47 PDT 1998

Hail to the Chief (The Imposter)

Tryin' to be too bad Tryin' to talk too tough Tryin' to jack the lad You think you've had enough

But he's not the man you think that he can be I just don't know why you can't see That he is only the Imposter That he is only the Imposter

Never been this far Always been too smart And you know all our boys are Really girls at heart

And he's not the man you think that he can be I just don't know why you can't see That he is only the Imposter That he is only the Imposter

When I said that I was lying I might have been lying Never let me hear you Say you're not trying No, no!

This is your big decision Hope you're not disappointed He's got double vision When you want him double-jointed

And he's not the man you think that he can be! I just don't know why you can't see He'll only bring you souvenirs It's only gonna end in tears And he is only the Imposter Yeah, he is only the Imposter

- Elvis Costello, off "Get Happy!"

By the way, while I have ventured away from pure seriousness, I have a question for true Marxist 3l33t d00dz. A while back you all were talking about the kewl and anti-kewl editions of the Communist Manifesto. Yesterday I was at the used bookstore; when I leaned over to grab the Isaiah Berlin biography of Marx (in its tasteful, pure red cover) next to it I saw a slim book, barely more than a pamphlet, which turned out to be a copy of Samuel Moore's 1888 translation of the Manifesto, second edition, as published by the Foreign Languages Press in Peking, 1968, with two handsome glossy pictures of the authors in the frontispiece. Now is that kewl or what?

I brought it to the cashier, and she said, "Harry said someone would be interested in these." I replied, "Remember how everybody was blathering about 'the end of history' about five years back? mm, yeah!" and she laughed at that.

Also I saw Kautsky's "On Christianity" in English translation, but the bookseller wouldn't let that one go, since she hadn't got a price on it yet. Being an uneducated workie, I'd never heard of Kautsky before this mail-list; should I buy it?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net