Historical Perspective

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:37:34 PDT 1998

This country seems to have many firsts. All the people on this list could come up with Profumo who I believe was the foreign minister, the having an affair with a call girl who was supposed to be a Russian agent, the bible and the Roman empire. I wonder what Clinton's chances would be if Lewinsky was an alleged agent of Saddam Hussein.

I still remember the Lyndon Johnson not leaving Vietnam because, "He wasn't going to be the first president to loose a war", McGeorge Bundy's description of the Cuban Missile Crisis, "we were eyeball to eyeball and they blinked first", Nixon's need to throw an election which he was going to win already and got impeached for it. Reagan's invasion of Grenada which was s upposed to represent heroisim somehow and financing death squads. by hard drug sales in the US. Media showing people todancing around American flags while a few hundred thousand Iraqi's were reported killed by American Bombs. This is over an above the usual effort by the monied class to take all the assets and income of this country. This media frenzy is rather tame as compared to past episodes of rank insanity by the US political elite. All of this is not only cruel but has considerable components of insanity.

If there is a point to this for the people who support the Starr investimation it seems to me to make it virtually impossible for Clinton to accomplish anything for the rest of his term. With the excellent economy and with his lame duck status he could conceivably have attempted to pass some of the programs he originally ran for office on. In any event the Markets seem to be happy about all this. Impeachment hearings without an impeachment is perfect for this presidency from the conservative point of view.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Associate Professor, Center for Adaptive Systems Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755