FW: web address for "The Sorry State of Economics"

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Sep 14 13:49:02 PDT 1998

-----Original Message----- From: femecon-l at bucknell.edu [mailto:femecon-l at bucknell.edu] On Behalf Of Neil H. Buchanan Sent: Monday, September 14, 1998 4:01 PM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: web address for "The Sorry State of Economics"

[This is being cross-posted to AFEEmail, FEMECON, and HES. Please feel free to forward this message to any other lists whose members might be interested.]

Please allow me to reintroduce myself briefly. My name is Neil Buchanan, and I have recently (January 1998) joined the Economics Department at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I am also the director of a new research center called CAMP, the Center for Advanced Macroeconomic Policy.

On September 14, 1997 (exactly one year ago today), I posted a message to this list, which read as follows:

"I am starting to assemble a list of articles that bemoan the current state of economics (and/or its recent theoretical and methodological trends). This would include such classics as 'The Poverty of Economics' and 'Let's Take the "Con" out of Econometrics.' It is my impression that this type of article is extremely common--written both by 'dissenting' economists and (interestingly) by many of the most prominent mainstream economists over the age of sixty (more or less)."

"I would appreciate it if people could respond to me (off-list) if they know the cites (full or partial) of any such articles. I am interested in articles published both in academic journals and in the more popular media (e.g., Harper's, The Atlantic Monthly, etc.). After I compile the list, I will either post it to these lists, or I will post a web address where the list will reside."

I received a large number of suggestions, which my assistant has now tracked down (if it was humanly possible). I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who responded to the original posting. There were simply too many to thank each of you individually, especially because I was in transition to a new job, house, region of the country, etc.

We have compiled the full citations into six lists: articles appearing in refereed journals, articles appearing as chapters in books, complete books, articles appearing in newspapers, articles in popular periodicals, and a complete list. The address is: <http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/CAMP/stateofecon.html>.

We invite you to take a look at the lists and to browse the rest of our small website. We welcome any comments or suggestions for further additions to the list.

Best, Neil

Neil H. Buchanan, Director

Center for Advanced Macroeconomic Policy (CAMP) Bolton Hall, Room 824 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee P.O. Box 413 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

(414)229-4678, phone (414)229-2438, fax ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - NOTICE FOR JOURNALISTS AND RESEARCHERS: Please ask for written permission from all direct participants before quoting any material posted on FEMECON-L.