Brenner on competition

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Sep 14 14:41:00 PDT 1998

Doug Henwood wrote:

> michael perelman wrote:
>
> >There is a natural tendency toward crises -- someone humously dated the
> >beginning of the existing crisis at 5000 years ago. Maybe I'm just fetishizing
> words too much, but I don't like describing the normal condition of something as
> a "crisis."

I largely agree with Doug. My reference to 5000 years of crisis was meant to allude to the same point.

At the same time, a broader conception of crisis is also in order. Maybe we need another term, but my understanding of capitalism is that the system more or less permanently stands on the verge of a crisis. Sometimes we can steer the system away from the edge, but then we create other contradiction in the process.

Tel. 916-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu