Has Jeffrey Sachs changed his tune...

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Tue Sep 15 07:35:12 PDT 1998

my amateur psychological take (not much more reliable than the rest of my takes) on people like Sachs and some of his ilk is that they display a tendency found among certain types of neoclassical economists: they revel in shocking people, saying things that people won't expect them to say or that will make people do a double take. this is not the kind of counter-intuitive stuff that Keynes and his gang enjoyed, which was based on fallacies of composition type paradoxes of macroeconomics, but more stuff based on micro-logic. For awhile, his shock therapy stuff served that purpose, but then it became received wisdom and so it became a yawn for him. plus maybe the "change" will make people forget some of the disastrous effects of the policies he promoted. wasn't Sachs in Malawi not too long ago saying sweatshops would be great? krugman said something similar I believe. or was it summers? i get them all mixed up. in any case, the infamous summers memo when he was at the world bank saying things like move dirty industries to Africa where the air quality is "vastly inefficiently low" (this is Orwellian code for 'there air is too clean') and move chemical production linked to prostate cancer to Africa because the people there don't live long enough to make it a problem(!) (i'm not making this up), etc., this represents the same kind of thing. I imagine these guys (they are mostly guys) all goose-pimply thinking how people will react to their latest (of course the summers' memo was not meant to go public we are told, so it was just that he "got caught"). so maybe sachs and stiglitz and summers and krugman are going to be our new heros. maybe they are all repenting. maybe they can get together and work to change the economics profession, starting with the graduate economics curriculum. or maybe they can hold a prayer breakfast.