Has Jeffrey Sachs changed his tune...

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Tue Sep 15 08:59:26 PDT 1998

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Don't forget the role played in the criminal Russian privatization program
> by the Harvard Institute for International Development, which Sachs heads.
> The whole smelly tale is told by Anne Williamson in an unpublished book
> chapter, which Mark Jones has up on his web site, at
> <http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~jones_m/williamson.htm>.
>
> Doug

Great link! When the news about Hay, Shleifer, Hay's wife, etc. came out in the Boston Globe, one of my former students who had transfered to Harvard and was taking a class with Shleifer called me and said the students were all freaking out, it was a day before the final exam and Shleifer's notable contributions in economics apparently were about how incentives can get mangled up and managers can end up pusuing their own interests instead of the organizations? I may be mangling this myself, but it seemed to be quite ironic. Like the guy's field was business ethics or something. Mat