Has Jeffrey Sachs changed his tune...

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Tue Sep 15 10:40:26 PDT 1998

1) "As fast as *possible*" is a very qualified degree of fastness. For many, "shock therapy" represents instituting reforms, etc. that are inappopriate and damaging because they are "faster than possible" i.e, too much too fast, too soon. Of course, there are also the issues of the substance of the very reforms themselves and the goals to be achieved, etc.

2) The other approach to transition being "gradualism" how do you compare the results of say Russia vs. China, Brad?

Mat