What is to be done.

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Tue Sep 15 10:43:54 PDT 1998

I think the Leninist question is the important one. I personally think the Marxist doctrine of inevitability is the weakest link in the story and is in large measure wishful thinking. I know of no social system that has ever been established which doesn't seem to suffer from enormous contradictions in practise. Its human docility and force of arms at bottom which has made each of the established exploitative systems function.

The question is how can people with limited power and limited organize mass-based politics which will better the lives of the entire population in the long term and will not simply exchange one type of plunder for another.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Associate Professor, Center for Adaptive Systems Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755