Yevgeny Primakov

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:30:20 PDT 1998

Mark,

I'll stick with Primakov as merely Deputy Director of IMEMO. He might have puffed his own past at some point which could have easily gotten picked up and widely repeated. There are rumors that he may have some Jewish ancestry. That is hardly the same thing as "Primakov is Jewish." He is known for his polished Georgian manners.

Menshikov is not nearly as "burned bridges" out as you say, even though he is in the Netherlands. He regularly visits and I understand has maintained his friendship with Primakov. His son works at IMEMO. If Primakov did not get all his references to Roosevelt from Menshikov/Galbraith, where did he get them from?

Along with Brad De Long I see little good about hyperinflation. I grant that an economy with 5% unemployment and 5000% inflation is preferable to one with 5% inflation and 50% unemployment. But that is not what we are talking about here.

Hyperinflation may lead to the repudiation of or default on sovereign foreign debt, but it does not eliminate or make it easier to pay, in contrast to a domestic debt in one's own currency. One can default on any debt without the mechanism of hyperinflation leading one to do so. Barkley Rosser On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:25:36 +0100 Mark Jones <Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu