Historical Perspective

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Sep 16 23:52:56 PDT 1998

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 tmsa at ibm.net wrote:

> on Sat Sep 12, 1998 at 14:42, Michael Cohen <mike at cns.bu.edu> said:
> >Do you guys know of another case whereby the ostensible
> >"executive" or popular leader of a coutnry has been forced out of
> >office over the details of a sexual relationship between consenting
> >adults.
>
> David and Bathsheba. 2 Samuel 11-12. David admires Bathsheba, has sex
> with her, has her husband placed in the front of a battle where he is
> killed, and marries her. God is angry. The child conceived while she
> was the wife of Uriah dies. David has many other family problems.
> David serves out his term.

Yes, but he didn't get to build the temple :-) Interesting, and not coincidentally, Clinton referred to this very incident in his prayer breakfast this weekend.

September 12, 1998

THE RELIGIOUS ISSUES

King David Inspires Plea for Pardon

By GUSTAV NIEBUHR

W ASHINGTON -- In his confessional speech before a crowd of religious

leaders at the White House this morning, President Clinton

demonstrated his remarkable fluency with religious language.

He frankly admitted to having "sinned" in his relationship with the

former White House intern Monica S. Lewinsky, spoke of the need for

repentance and renounced pride and anger, two of the Seven Deadly

Sins.

But the most resonant moment for clergy members may have come when

Clinton said the process of forgiveness demands "what my Bible calls a

broken spirit."

In a telephone interview, Alan Cooper, a professor of Bible, who holds

a joint appointment at Jewish Theological Seminary and Union

Theological Seminary in New York, said that the President's choice of

words "immediately calls to mind Psalm 51."

Its passages, Professor Cooper said, make it one of the most famous

pentitential psalms in the Bible, a declaration of abject helplessness

and a plea for God's pardon.

Jewish and Christian tradition attributes Psalm 51 to King David. It

is seen as an appeal David makes to God after God has sent the prophet

Nathan to rebuke the king for having committed adultery with

Bathsheba, and for sending Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, into battle to

be killed.

"Have mercy upon me, O God," the psalm begins, and begs God "wash me

thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin."

The phrase the President used appears in verse 17, in the Bible's King

James Version, after the psalm says that God does not want a

traditional burnt offering as a sacrifice. Instead, it says: "The

sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O

God, thou wilt not despise."

From their remarks afterward, it was evident that some of the clergy

members recognized the President's reference. Robert M. Franklin,

president of Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta, said

Clinton had used the words of the 51st Psalm.

Bishop T.D. Jakes, pastor of a non-denominational church in Dallas,

caught the reference too. "Is Clinton broken enough to repent, but

strong enough to lead?" Bishop Jakes asked.

The request for such a combination might be read into the psalm, which

asks God for restoration as well as for mercy.

Copyright 1998 The New York Times Company