Fed hawks

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Thu Sep 17 14:46:58 PDT 1998

I think the institutional authority of the Fed Chair is overstated in this post. Ultimately the Fed Chair's authority comes from an ability to convince a bunch of big ego other people to go along. AG has been in for a long time, has the rep of having "saved the system" back in 87, has outlasted all other BOG members, and out datawonks anybody in the room, probably beating out our much revered Doug Henwood even.

Often Fed Chairs are like AG, but some are not, the most recent example being William Miller during the Carter presidency. BTW, BOG members can be reappointed, Henry Wallich being the most recent example who served from 1960-88.

The major loose cannons are the Federal Reserve Bank Presidents, all of whom attend and speak at FOMC meetings, even if only five of them vote on policy (meaning generally what the target fed funds rate will be the next month). There are nine Board of Directors members voting on Fed Bank presidents, only three of whom are appointed by the BOG. Many banks have distinct identities and their presidents come to represent those identities. Thus, it is not surprising that the monetarist William Poole is president of the traditionally monetarist St. Louis Fed. Also they represent regional interests in a variety of ways. In short, Doug is right that there could be a very interesting FOMC meeting coming up.

AG has traditionally liked to play the master of consensus, in contrast to his predecessor, Paul Volcker. But it is not at all clear that there is a consensus on the FOMC or what it is, although the extreme hawks who wanted to raise interest rates seemed to have been silenced for now (with the possible exception of Jordan of the Cleveland Fed), thus allowing Greenspan to have made his market-calming speech at Berkeley.

BTW, along with that I see the selection of Primakov as having calmed the markets far more than the publishing of the Starr Report, as so many ludicrously obsessed US commentators have pontificated. Barkley Rosser On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:30:00 -0400 "Fellows, Jeffrey" <jmf9 at cdc.gov> wrote: