Japan's economy in free fall

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Fri Sep 18 12:58:07 PDT 1998

I'm not quite so pessimistic - maybe that simply means I'm a hopeless optimist, but here's how I look at things:

1. People are pretty fed up in many ways with the current state of affairs.

There is a lot of dissatisfaction in the general population (I don't have anything to back up this statement, just my general perceptions of the public mood).

2. While popular organization may look pretty frail, you could have said the same thing in 1960, not too long before the protests got going. Popular feelings can be galvanized pretty quickly (did anyone predict the '68 strikes in France?), so current apathy isn't necessarily going to continue.

Really the answer is the same now as it always has been - organize. And hope you can reach and educate people to turn their feelings of disenchantment and powerlessness into something constructive. If you get enough people involved things can change quickly and decisively.

Brett