Renegades: Cockburn, Mandel, etc

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Sep 18 13:23:16 PDT 1998

Re Marta's: "The Unibomber, although brilliant in some of his analysis, failed in my book because he specifically stated that it was ridiculous to spend any effort on bringing disabled people into the mainstream of society"

Basically, the Unabomber seemed interested in *creating* disabled people. He was a profoundly disturbing figure who reminded me of Vonnegut's characterization of the totalitarian mind as a "cuckoo clock in hell" -- keeping perfect time for long periods then going totally haywire. I thought the Unabomber's critique of the technological society very acute in many instances, but this was more than offset by his chilling objectification of the people he victimized.

Carl Remick