Mandel and Keyens

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Sat Sep 19 13:22:10 PDT 1998

Max wrote:
>GDP does include corporate profits. I don't know if
>these are supposed to be 'fictitious' too. But in any case
>send me any fictitious capital you want to get rid of.

This indicates a misunderstanding of the concept: fictitious capital isn't fictitious from the point of view of individuals. It has its value because individuals (rightly or wrongly) expect it to pay off in the future.

Fictitious capital is "fictitious" from the societal point of view. Much of it is not based on assured flow of income.

>On average public sector jobs pay more than private
>sector, though this premium reduces drastically if
>one compares similar jobs, rather than glossing over
>the difference between police officers and retail
>clerks. In general, government pay is competitive
>without being destabilizing. An exception is welfare
>related programs, where the pay is below standard
>for either public or private jobs. Another is prison
>based work. These jobs are very much the exception
>as far as the public sector goes.

at least in California, prison _guards_ do very well. (another "victory" for unionism: the prison guards' union lobbies for more prisons, successfully of course.)

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html