Promoting Mass Purchasing Power

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Sep 19 14:34:55 PDT 1998

> Hello everyone,
>
> Max Sawicky writes with swaggering bravado Saturday Sept 19,98:
> "Fifty bucks. On September 15, 1999, close of trading in NYC, I say the
> Dow will be above 3000. You say it won't. Henwood holds the money.
> Put up or shut up. (Redmond and other takers, your money is also
> welcome.)"

My bravado is proportional to the wild-ass confidence of the local prophets of doom.

> Doyle
> Hmmmm. Dang that is mighty tempting. You know I went down to my local
> licquor store, and the bottle of Lagavulin costs $50.00. . . .

I don't drink and I'm not interested in going into the wholesale liquor business, so scotch is worthless to me.

> Doyle
> Allright Max, except one condition, between now and Sept. 15, 1999, the
> dow gets below 3000, not it is below 3000 on Sept 15. Hell the Sawicky
> family fortune might just tilt the Dow up over 3000 just to make a
> point. Goes down below 3000 by Sept 15, 1999, but could be above 3000
> on that day. Same thing ain't it Max? Wanna bet me?
> regards, Doyle>

Well you are raising the odds of your side. If the Dow goes to 2999 next week and then goes roaring back up to 7600 your portrayal of the future isn't quite borne out. whereas if the Dow is at 3000 at a fixed date chances are it will have been there for a while. But I'll take your action. You are right that there are only so many bets I can cover, since the 'Sawicky family fortune' is mostly tied up in VISA futures and a '96 Lumina. Receipt of both our checks by Henwood will seal the deal.

MBS