exploitation (was: Mandel and Keynes, spell-corrected)

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Sun Sep 20 09:47:44 PDT 1998

On Sun, September 20, 1998 at 08:09:51 (-0700) James Devine writes:
>Bill Lear wrote:
>>Capitalism is a system based upon the exploitation of labor. Without
>>the exploitation of labor, the system literally would not, could not,
>>exist. Workers should recognize this by merely uttering the words "I
>>am a worker".
>
>>To get a concrete grasp of this, you must understand not only what
>exploitation means (all other things equal, a person is exploited if they
>must labor more than the average amount people work in the economy) but
>also the relationship between inegalitarian distribution of resources
>("capital") and the potential for exploitation.<
>
>Instead of working more than average (which suggests that all those above
>the median aren't exploited), there's got to be a better definition. First,
>exploitation is a society-wide phenomenon (the capitalists exploit the
>working class as a whole), obviously with implications for individuals.
>The sign that exploitation occurs is that the average real wage rate
>(averaging across society) is below the average product of labor. Though it
>doesn't work exactly, for the individual the sign of exploitation is that
>the worker's wage is below the average product of his or her labor. (It
>doesn't work exactly, because some labor is purely redistributive.)

I think you meant to say "below the median" rather than "above". I did say "all other things equal", and I meant that quite broadly. Comparing across industries is not really possible (how do you compare two workers, one of whom works X hours and the other works Y hours?), but comparing workers to owners is easy. That's what I meant by my cet. par. remark, vague as I was with it.

But, accepting your expansion, perhaps you could give us a very simple example of, say, a two-good economy in which exploitation occurs, using to your terms. So, let's assume we have the standard corn and steel economy. Set it up so you have 100 people and 2 of them have X dollars, where X is (more than) enough to run a factory, and 98 have X/Y dollars where Y is large enough to leave X/Y far below the amount necessary to run (own) a factory. Suppose those working in the steel industry work an average of S hours, and those in the corn industry work C hours. Could you lay out the "real wage rate" within and across industries, and the "average product of labor".

What I would like to see, ultimately, is an example which allows me to point to one person and say "See, this person in the economy is screwed --- they are exploited", and not to say that only for a group of people.

The reason I like my simplified version is that it allows you to point to individuals. Once the simplified version is internalized, it's kind of easy to see it everywhere...

>>Unequal distribution of resources allows some to hire others to work for
>them, to produce profit for them. This is exploitation, and it is also the
>very definition of a working capitalist economy. Note that exploitation
>need not mean horrific working conditions, etc. --- it is something quite
>specific, and quite simple...<
>
>It's more than unequal distribution of resources (as Gary Dymski and I
>successfully argued against John Roemer in ECONOMICS & PHILOSOPHY a few
>years ago). Among other things, capital (both money-capital and means of
>production) must be scarce and the capitalists must control production and
>accumulation.

But, unequal distribution must occur, correct? Imagine that capital is not scarce, but it is unequally distributed (above, let X grow as large as you want, but also let Y keep pace to keep the 98 out of the ownership game). Doesn't that just mean that capital is scarce to some but not to others?

Bill