Mandel and Keynes

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Mon Sep 21 09:17:27 PDT 1998

Jeffrey- Yes, I didn't think you were advocating subsidies. My point was that the argument could be turned around on those who advocate it in the name of a "market approach." Of course I was also arguing that such competition could be good, if it in a sense sets a benchmark that the private sector has to meet (and that benchmark pushes up wage/benefit/other job characteristics and employment conditions from the bottom). Of course, this doesn't have to be done by guaranteed State jobs program, it could be done by jacking up the minimum wage, legislating health and other benefit standards, etc., but the public sector job approach may accomplish it differently and may have other benefits. Mat