Renegades: Cockburn, Mandel, etc

Ariel Reinheimer areinh2 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:02:40 PDT 1998

>Carl Remick wrote:
>

>> Basically, the Unabomber seemed interested in *creating* disabled
>> people. He was a profoundly disturbing figure who reminded me of
>> Vonnegut's characterization of the totalitarian mind as a "cuckoo
clock
>> in hell" -- keeping perfect time for long periods then going totally
>> haywire. I thought the Unabomber's critique of the technological
>> society very acute in many instances, but this was more than offset
by
>> his chilling objectification of the people he victimized.

It is not encouraging that this thread has gone on as long as it has. The Unabomber's critique was fundamentally flawed. He failed to understand technology as basically neutral. He did not understand that it is unaccountable power which results in the deleterious use of certain technologies. He was hopelessly confused, lacking a basic understanding of the workings of societal institutions. To state that the Unabomber was the true voice of the working class is to be as confused as he.

AR