Nation article on CPI index

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Tue Sep 22 19:20:18 PDT 1998

James Devine wrote:

> Dear Ms. Carey:
>
> Thank you for this information. I am confused, however. The CPI-W and the
> CPI-U have been around for quite awhile, the first being the CPI for
> nonsupervisory wage workers (I believe) and the latter being for urban
> employees. Are these different from the "cpi w" and "cpi u" that you mention?

[snip]

Thanks, Jim. There are several CPIs around, some of them experimental, like the one for older people which takes medical costs into account.

It is possible that cpi-w is being shaved, but I don't think cpi-w is new.

The squib in the Nation just isn't clear.

-- Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, I have others.

--Groucho Marx