converts to the left

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Wed Sep 23 10:07:27 PDT 1998

At 08:42 AM 9/23/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Ellsberg was always relatively leftist the way he tells it. He was an
>enthusiastic union activist before Harvard and Vietnam.
>
>Among economists, I can only think of John Gurley who moved to the left in
>response to Vietnam. I believe that he was a Quaker.

how about Leonard Rapping, who went from writing with the new classial Robert Lucas to writing with the radical James Crotty? or did he write for the former because he was a grad. student serf, needing a publication to beef up his resume?

BTW, it's often said that profs. sometimes "come out of the closet" as leftists when they get tenure. But I don't know if that's true. Further, I think that the indoctrination of grad. school, struggling to publish & get tenure, etc. affects the _kind_ of leftist one is when one gets the big T. The long and hard effort to get tenure encourages academic and elitist leftism, employing all sorts of obscure jargon or math, dealing with arcane questions, believing strongly in the divisions between and within academic disciplines, etc.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html