Promoting mass purchasing power

Wed Sep 23 11:56:24 PDT 1998

>>The move to the right is always justified in pragmatic terms, but the DLC
>International hasn't really been a stunning success politically. The bloom
>is already off the Blairite rose, the Swedish social dems have taken their
>worst electoral drubbing in 60 or 70 years, and Clinton's Democrats have
>suffered the worst losses at the state and local level in 100 years. The
>hell with 'em, I say.
>
>Doug

You can say that the one-step-to-the-left-of-the-center party is making a *mistake* when it shifts right, smelling that that's the way the votes have moved. But if you want to guarantee that it the shift right will *accelerate*, just let the one-step-to-the-left-of-the-center party be defeated--then all of its office-holders and potential office-holders will say: "Gee. There are even more voters to our right than we believed..."

Brad DeLong