Phillips, Lind (was Re: transnational portfolio investment

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:29:09 PDT 1998

Peter Kilander wrote:

>For instance: the "New York Intellectuals"

Yeah, I recently saw that flick Arguing the World, a doc. on the "New York Intellectuals." At all the City College parties the men would be hudled in a corner engaged in arguing the world, occasionally breaking to prowl the women. Nathan Glazer recalled an uncomfortable position he was put in when, oh, I think it was Hannah Arendt and, blasted can't remember her name (she was even in the movie), sat to each side of him and started discussing Freud.

I. Bell suffered an ontological block when he was at Columbia during the strikes, saying, well, they'll always take me over at Harvard. Not very attuned to the cultural contradictions he embodied.

-Alec