Promoting mass purchasing power

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:24:26 PDT 1998

Brad De Long wrote:

> >Well, since it seems likely the Dems will take a drubbing in the November
> >election, and since Clinton's future is less than bright, should we start
> >ordering the brown shirts now, before prices skyrocket?
> >
> >Doug
>
> Yep. And I'll survey a wall or two for Max to stand up against...
>
> Brad DeLong

Nope, its perfectly clear that the institutional support of at least the democratic party is very thin indeed and the Republican Party is not far behind. If he wasn't so personally looney and more of a lightweight than Clinton, it would have been President Ross Perot to whom we in all probability owe the balanced Federal Budget.

My bet is a strong third party non hypersectarian party with sound positions which have popular support (not too difficult), some money (more difficult) and instutitional roots i.e. whats left of Labor. You may not win elections, but it seems the best at the moment that can be done with politics.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-734-8828 Tel-FAX:617-353-7755