Promoting mass purchasing power

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Sep 23 15:34:36 PDT 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote:

> I'm 100% with you on sentiment--I left the Dems 4 years ago, and only
> joined the party because of the apparent opening creted by Jesse
> Jackson. (And I'll consider going back for Wellstone, if it's clear
> that he's going to do serious long-term organizing.)

To paraphrase Brecht, woe to the party which needs Kennedyesque leaders to do its thinking and activism for it. The Dems are rotten to the core, my friend, and the last moment this strategy made sense was 1972 and the McGovern campaign. The Left has got to do its *own* long-term organizing. Join the Labor Party or the Greens instead -- the planet you save may just be your own.

> I am not at all confident that we can survive a full-fledge lurch WAY to
> the right--which is what we face with the Clinton debacle.

Debacle, my foot, he's doing just fine in the polls. Americans are just enjoying the spectacle of the Prez being called to account, because it's one of the few times they get to see our elites publicly trying to claw each other's eyes out. Plus, with all this Monanica going on, El Presidente is less able to do things like ravage Social Security.

-- Dennis