NP and fusion again ( was Re: converts to the left)

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:57:29 PDT 1998

>while continuing to piss $270 billion or so a year on a
>military fighting an enemy which doesn't even exist anymore.

Don't look now, but tucked away on page A18 of the NY Times today is a Clinton proposal to raise "defense" spending by $10-20 billion next year, in addition to a $6 billion "emergency appropriation" this year. Yesterday some old gasbag was writing on the WSJ editorial page that the budget really needs to go to $300 billion, which would "still be low historically" (an interesting view of history, to say the least...) Thus we see the real purpose of L'affaire Lewinsky: distract the public, which is something like 2/3 against any increased Pentagon spending, and force Clinton to toe the military-industrial in exchange for his political life.

Jim Baird