Allende's Second Way

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Sep 23 19:59:05 PDT 1998

<< The best Marxist analysis of Allende's downfall is from the SWP's

Pathfinder Press, titled "Chile's Days of Terror." I also recommend Seymour

Hersch's book on Kissinger which has some explosive revelations about the

role of ITT in fomenting the coup. Finally, for an expose of Pinochet's

economic "miracle," I recommend Joseph Collins's "Chile's Free Market

Miracle: a Second Look," from Food First books.

I forgot to mention Ralph Miliband's fine essay on the fall of Allende, reprinted in Class Power, State Power. A high minded and angry bit ofa nalysis with the usual clarity and depth Ralph could command.

--jks