technical problems

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 24 15:49:26 PDT 1998

Panix has been experiencing problems all afternoon, and mail is bouncing back to me saying that perfectly good addresses can't be found. Of course those affected may not get this, but I'll give it the old college try anyway. For the technically minded, I've appended Panix' explanation of the problem.

Doug

----

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:25:22 -0400 (EDT) From: alexis at panix.com (MOTD [Panix]) Subject: Service problems resolved To: motd-system at panix.com Sender: owner-motd-system at lists.panix.com Precedence: bulk Reply-To: staff at panix.com

(The following article has been automatically mirrored from MOTD)

(Posted by Alexis Rosen) Thu, Sep 24 1998 -- 1:58 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------- We've finally resolved most of the problems we've been having since shortly before noon. In fact there was no router hardware failure. We were being attacked by an unknown party. The flood of packets was so large that it overloaded the CPUs on several of our routers, causing symptoms that resembled hardware failures.

While our internal network is now fully functional again, and our links to the outside world are up, connectivity to the outside is still flaky. This is because the various nets we connect to are all having problems of their own, some caused by the same attack. For example, MCI tried to block the attack on one of their border routers but the router crashed...

I expect that things will return to normal gradually over the course of the afternoon. If there are any major developments, I'll post here again.