The "great wildcatter"

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Fri Sep 25 09:42:00 PDT 1998

Richardson and Murchison both were independent oilmen who supported FDR and Truman (but probably hedged their bets with Truman), then supported Eisenhower and played both sides of the street thereafter. (Murchison was founding owner of the Dallas Cowboys, by the way.) According to Ronnie Dugger in "The Politician: The Life and Times of Lyndon Johnson," Richardson was a big fundraiser for FDR and backed son Elliott Roosevelt to run the radio stations of the Texas State Network in the 1930s. In Texas politics Richardson and Murchison supported conservative Democrats such as Lyndon Johnson, John Connally and Lloyd Bentsen and later Republicans after they became electable in Texas after John Tower's upset victory to the Senate in 1961. Most of the Richardson fortune went to the Bass Brothers of Fort Worth, who similarly play both sides of the street.

-- Jim Cullen

---------------------------------------- THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST James M. Cullen, Editor P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517 Phone: 512-447-0455 Internet: populist at usa.net Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter ----------------------------------------