Tom Ferguson and the Myth of the Median Voter

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Fri Sep 25 09:56:00 PDT 1998

On Thu, September 24, 1998 at 16:29:47 (-0700) Paul Henry Rosenberg writes:
>I think it's obvious that Ferguson is right about the big picture, but
>that doesn't negate a simultaneous effect from voters....

What doesn't? Of course *Ferguson* does not discount that voters can "shake, rattle, and roll", and that they can at times break through to affect important issues. If you think Ferguson is not aware of a "simultaneous effect from voters", you're mistaken (you probably should read the rest of the chapter I excerpted, he goes on therein to fill out the picture considerably).

>I think one could argue that this happened in 1994. The huge
>investment shift that drove the election occured in anticipation of a
>relative small, BUT SIGNIFICANT, voter shift, and after the dust cleared
>that's exactly what happened. ...

Yes, one could argue this, if one had evidence. If you have some, please share.

Bill