Fridrich List

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Sun Sep 27 13:41:53 PDT 1998

Greg Nowell writes:
> I have read in Woodward's Origins of the
>New South that the slavocracy of the antebellum US hasd
>explicit kinds of conquest fascist ideologies for
>taking over the Caribbean.

it should be remembered, of course, that these types were all in favor of free trade (i.e., selling cotton to England in return for luxuries, etc.) whereas the (equally obnoxious) Northern capitalists were against it. The latter didn't want to conquer the Caribbean but instead wanted to steal the West from the Indians.

choose your poison.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html