LTCM

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 27 17:22:47 PDT 1998

Joseph E. Moryl wrote:

>This week's reading comes from the Old Testament and it's amazing how up to
>date and relevant some of this stuff still is!
>
>"And if a man layeth with a woman who is not his wife, then he hath
>committed adultery, and he shall be stoned to death. But if that same man
>shall stand up and spilleth his seed on her raiment, then no man may call
>him an adulterer. And he shall not be stoned to death and his deed shall
>merely be deemed inappropriate in the sight of God and the people. And that
>will be the end of it." (Book of Hairsplitticus, Ch. 24)

I read in today's NY Times that the original Old Testament prohibition against adultery applied to married women, as part of the effort of keeping the lineage clear. So it was more a matter of property than propriety. But by the original definition, Clinton wasn't an adulterer! Is this really the case?

Doug