Deutschland

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 27 17:56:06 PDT 1998

I think that how the markets will take it will depend on what kind of government Schroeder forms. If he forms a "red-green" coalition, that is a coalition of Social Democrats and Greens and possibly also Free Democrats then we will probably have a government that will probably try to uphold the welfare state. If on the other hand he forms a "grand coalition" - that is a coalition with the Christian Democrats then we will probably be seeing a government committed to rolling back the welfare state. It is no secret that much of Germany's business community prefers the latter option. Which option that Schroeder chooses will no doubt depend on the final election tallies since it is still not quite clear how the PDS did and that will in turn effect how many seats the Social Democrats and Greens actually wind up with. If he goes for the "grand coalition" option then no doubt Big Business will be pleased and the markets will react accordingly. On the other hand the last time West Germany had such a government back in the 1960s, there was a social explosion as many of the constituents of the Social Democrats reacted against

that party's betrayal by supporting the so-called extra-parliamentary opposition - that is the New Left. If history should repeat itself then the markets will presumably not be so sanguine.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]