Deutschland

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Sep 28 02:10:24 PDT 1998

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> As for the supposed Third Way International, I tripped over this line in
> the Reuters account:
>
> >Clinton, who all but campaigned for Kohl on a visit to east Germany in
> >May, congratulated Schroeder...

This is misleading. Clinton and Kohl were buddies -- they both like to eat -- and they palled around when they visited each other. But Clinton invited Schroeder to the White House in August and treated him like a head of state right in the middle of the Russia crisis. This was of course entirely ignored here (there was something else in the news that day) but was big news in Germany, and a big boost to Schroeder's credibility at a crucial time.

Michael