A Liquidity Trap is . . .?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 30 11:29:47 PDT 1998

>I get the impression I joined the list just after there was a discussion
>on this topic. Is there a URL someone can send me to so I can find out
>what it means? Or email on the subject someone can send me off-line?
>Thanks a bunch.

A liquidity trap is when lowering interest rates fails to stimulate the economy. Japan is in one. To a hardcore (post-)Keynesian, the reason is fear - no one with money wants to part with it, regardless how low the return on cash-equivalents is. Paul Krugman has a piece on his website <http://web.mit.edu/krugman/www/japtrap.html> (Japtrap, cute, eh?) that applies the analysis to Japan, an recommends inflation as the cure (four grafs from it follow). Krugman's talk of the natural interest rate and balancing saving & investment would make a post-Keynesian scream, but what the hell?

Doug

----

Krugman: