back-of-the-envelope calculation on budget surplus

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Wed Sep 30 16:55:48 PDT 1998

Estimating 60 million households out of 250 million people, the budget surplus works out to $1100 per household ($70b/60m). With median family income at about $37k, that's a savings rate of about 3%. So we shouldn't say that savings are falling. Savings have been nationalized.

No wonder the WSJ is screaming for a tax cut. They want more money for fat cats to invest abroad.

I'm sure Doug could do better with the stats, but that's my rough 'n' ready calculation. Let me note one more thing. Since we can view the surplus as nationalized savings, why not invest it in the stock market, and shore up sagging equities, partially nationalizing capital in the process.

Humble suggestions.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298