Pax Europa

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Apr 2 03:19:24 PST 1999

This may sound whacked-out, but I had an almost visceral reaction to the photos of the three captured US soldiers flashed across the Web. That's when the Serbs lost the battle for US public opinion (of course, the cards were stacked against them, but the one way to piss off Americans is to parade war prisoners on CNN). It's something that I felt personally -- this instinctive reaction of, "Those goddamn *bastards* are gonna pay for this", immediately countermanded by the knowledge that this is NATO's dream scenario, the perfect excuse to blast Belgrade to cinders, killing hundreds of people we will never see or be able to mourn. It's always worth remembering that we critics of the system are ourselves enmeshed in the thing, and on the deepest levels imaginable; that, after all, is why the total system is total. Maybe we shouldn't think of multinationalism and neonationalism, the two most powerful political currents of our day, merely as objective tendencies; maybe they course and eddy into the very depths of our subjectivities. Hence the difficulty of saying anything meaningful about the war: on some level we know, somewhere, that this public display of violence is merely the tip of the neocolonial iceberg, that the true forms of dominion are like vast, restless mountains, thundering in the distance -- the giant multinationals and their ilk, busily plundering the earth, doing far more daily violence to the ecology and human beings than the generals could ever imagine. Which recalls to mind the true winner of the whole mess: the EU, quietly wheeling and dealing while the US takes the public blame, an unstoppable colossus growing new industrial tentacles by the hour, relinking the formerly delinked Visegrad, the Balkans and the CIS zones. Let's just hope the Euroresistance is growing as fast as Eurocapital, or the 21st century could get real ugly in a real hurry.

-- Dennis