division

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 2 14:01:42 PST 1999

Doug wrote:

>Yoshie's unsub'd. I haven't agreed with everything she said by any means,
>but I'm sorry to see her go. I don't want a list where everyone agrees with
>each other. The debate over the war has gotten nasty, but it's one that
>should be had, rather than having separate blocs of people nod in unison
>with each other. I hope this is one thing that the 300 or so remaining
>subscribers can agree on.

Someone (wish i could remember who) said that academic infighting is so nasty because the stakes are so small. I wonder if that could explain the nastiness here, too? (And no, that's not meant snidely at all -- the comment has always seemed zen-like to me)

Pity that Yoshie left, but i'm sure she's happier now.