Ground troops?

Antti.rautiainen antti.rautiainen at kolumbus.fi
Fri Apr 2 15:08:04 PST 1999

>Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 10:36:39 -0800
>From: Sam Pawlett <epawlett at uniserve.com>
>Subject: Re: Ground troops?
>

>> I think the question is not wether a lot of people will die if ground troops
>> are sent. I think the question is, that is more Albanian civilians going to
>> die if ground troops are sent, than if they aren't sent.
>
>Right, because everyone knows inhabitants of Serbia aren't people.

No, but because its rather clear that massacre in Kosova by federal army is certainly bigger than massacre in other parts of the federation by NATO.

>The NATO bombing has intensified the flow of refugees out of Kosovo. Most of
>these refugees are fleeing the war and hope to return when the war is settled.
>Vuk Dravasovic (if he is to be believed) stated this on the CBC last night. He
>also said that there are many Albanian Kosovo refugees in Belgrade and Serbia
>proper. He also said that the Milosovic regime is willing to grant Kosovo a
high
>degree of autonomy but only under Yugoslav law.

Well, I don't believe in Vuk Dravasovic. But I am sure considarable part of refugees is heading to Yugoslavia, otherwise there would be twice as many refugees heading to south. But this is not necessary in contradiction with the final aim of Yugoslav governement, to clean Kosova from Albanians - if in other parts of the federation, they are easier to rule. And if they cause problems, they might be thrown out from the country later.

I have no doubt with that Milosevic's statement. But althought NATO's demand of occupation was unjust and imperialism, I have no any sympathy towards Milosevic if he accepts suffering of thousands just for opposing that demand.

>Now NATO can appear as real heroes. First you create a dire refugee situation
>then you intervene in a heroic manner to save the refugees. Right on, NATO.

Saving those refugees is more important to me than destroying reputation of NATO, wich is important to me as well. Catalysing of the situation was NATO's fault for sure, but we haven't got a time machine, thus we have to live with present situation, and try to minimize suffering now. Anyway, I'm getting more convinced that sending ground troops might escalate the conflict to more serious one. But I'm not yet convinced that best demand towards NATO is demand of unconditional stopping of the bombings, maybe a better one would be to stop the bombings if Milosevic promises to stop genocide, I don't know.

>wonder what people think of Milo meeting with the moderate Albanian Kosovo
leader
>yesterday?
>
>Sam Pawlett

I think most propable is that Rugova is risking his coming role as president of autonomous Kosova, he's trying to save his people by praising mercy from Milosevic. I respect that, but it might be his efforts aren't enough to stop the warmachine of Milosevic. I bet he has also demanded stopping the cleansing of Kosova, but Yugoslav TV hasn't shown that demand, only the tactical demand towards NATO to stop the bombings. Of course, it is also possible he is held as a hostage and pressured to such moves, but I think this is less possible.

Antti Rautiainen - antti.rautiainen at kolumbus.fi

Kaikki mitä et halunnut tietää jääkaapistasi! http://www.rauhanpuolustajat.fi/kulutaharkiten/index.html