More on Greece

JayHecht at aol.com JayHecht at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 09:46:22 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/2/99 10:51:08 AM Central Daylight Time, nillo at tao.agoron.com writes:

<< Unlike other countries which

were largely beaten down by the Nazis and were thus largely unable to do

much against Stalin's roll-in, the Greeks could have and possibly would

have resisted, and successfully. A one of a kind thing to be sure, but

Greece has had one of a kind things happen before, like winning its

independence war while the other wars in the early 19th century failed to

achieve that goal for other nearby states. >>

This was partly what I was getting at with Greel "exceptionalism" - which is a function of a lot of unique (?) factors having to do with geography, rural/urban and agricultural/industrial differences.

Take the Mani country in the southern part of the country - neither the Turks nor the Nazis could defeat this region. The long dominance by Turkey also oriented the country in a nationalist manner (as did the church). Now perhaps these factors are too speculative, but I think they have some bearing on the above.

Jason