the new economy, a question

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 4 09:56:12 PDT 1999

The organization of a high tech economy is the bipolar shift toward the highly skilled and the minimally skilled at the expense of the middle. This explains the disappearance of the socio-economic differentiation between blue and white collar workers. The displacement of older white collar workers is also further exacerbated by the economy's push for a delay of the retirement age in the private sector and a subsequent career after early retirement from the public sector. It is the nature of a high tech economy that retraining of skill generally means a down grading of skills, because high tech skills are more efficiently embeddable in more receptive youthful minds. The are two immediate impacts of these trends. The first is the financial impact of a shift in income pattern toward a shrinking high income group and a growing low income group. The second is the social impact of declining job satisfaction and personal esteem.

Henry