Opening Borders

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 4 20:00:16 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>Hard to say, but not necessarily. Collective aid from the NATO countries,
>opening borders, etc. go against the grain of nationalism.

Workers Vanguard says, and I usually trust them on these things, that U.S. policy, prodded by the Germans, has been to promote the breakup of Yugoslavia along ethnic lines. That would be quite in the grain of nationalism.

>Junking all this, Jim, doesn't the logical extension of the strict
>anti-intervention position to domestic matters deprive the left of most any
>practical politics, other than an ultimatist one which must await the
>proverbial, possibly mythical mass strike?

I think the best thing the U.S. left could do for the rest of the world would be somehow, magically, to weaken the imperial might of the United States. So I just can't bring myself to applaud NATO as doing humanitarian work.

Doug