The effect of the bombing on Israel

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 4 20:02:53 PDT 1999

In the silver thread department, the effect of CNN's pictures on Israel has been rather interesting. Before the bombing, Israelis naturally identified with Serbs (although, as Barkley points out, not very strongly, because they didn't think about it much -- say about as much as most Americans are now thinking about the Ethiopian/Eritrean war). But now, they've entered the present with a clap, and both Left and Right have suddenly thought the same thing: what if the Palestinians declare independence someday and we invade? Why can't they drop bombs on us?

If Israel, the country the US is fondest of in the world -- the one we give the most money to by far, even though they don't really need it anymore -- if they start worry; if they start to think Hey, maybe we can't just ignore the world and oppress them forever -- maybe we actually have to do something -- then I wonder what's going on in the minds of other countries we don't love so much. Turkey for example? Could such a bloody fiasco actually be salutary as an example?

Although I'll be the first to admit they might all be worrying about nothing, and that Kosovo will discredit humanitarian bombing just like Somalia discredited humanitarian invasion -- just in time for the Rwandan genocide.

Michael

Clear, unscaleable, ahead

Rise the Mountains of Instead,

From whose cold cascading streams