Intelectural Restructuring

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 5 11:11:05 PDT 1999

Microsoft Skims Off Academia's Best for Research Center

By Mark Leibovich

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 5, 1999; Page A01

REDMOND, Wash.—The company well known for its

aggressive domination of the software world has set itself a

new target: the best minds of academia. With cash, stock

options and the promise of vast resources, Microsoft Corp. is

luring faculty elites to its research center at a pace so fast that

some campus departments say they're being picked clean.

Last month Microsoft hired Yale University mathematician

Lazlo Lovasz, recent winner of his field's prestigious Wolf

Prize. He will start here in June and will join, among others,

Fields Medal-winning mathematician Michael Freedman, a

recent arrival from the University of California-San Diego;

and MacArthur fellow Jim Blinn, a computer graphics expert

from the California Institute of Technology.

Microsoft Research, known as MSR, is aiming for 600

"faculty" by the end of next year. It already is among the

biggest computer science laboratories in the world, with 350

researchers. While other private research labs, including

Lucent Technologies Inc.'s Bell Labs, International Business

Machines Corp.'s T.J. Watson Research Center and Xerox

Corp.'s Palo Alto Research Park, recruited faculty stars long

before Microsoft, no company has raided universities so

brazenly, school officials said. And none has dangled stock

options that have mass-produced so many millionaires.

Microsoft Research is seeking big names in computer science

foremost, but also leading thinkers in graphic arts, linguistics,

biology and mathematics. While they may never write a piece

of software, they could hatch ideas that the company's

programmers one day might turn into big-selling products.

Here on a lush-green campus crisscrossed by shuttle vans

painted with the Microsoft slogan, "Where Do You Want to

Go Today?," the software giant is practicing its "dinner party"

philosophy of basic research: By assembling the right mix of

brilliance, eliminating the usual concerns (teaching, tenure and

grant-proposal writing) and leaving people free to develop

ideas, the next wave of great computing could flow.

But some school officials said Microsoft's elite guest list is

depleting their own.

"Microsoft Research has become a parasite on the academic

establishment," said Jim Morris, chairman of the computer

science department at Carnegie Mellon University. "They are

eating our seed corn. If you take away great people from

schools and put them in a place where they're not teaching

anyone, who will train the next generation?"

Microsoft officials deny they've spurred a university brain

drain. Nathan Myhrvold, the company's chief technology

officer, said MSR probably hires six full professors a year.

The rest are junior-level professors and PhDs. "We haven't

taken all that many top people in all," he said.

Some universities scoff at this, saying that Myhrvold is

counting only fully tenured professors, a shallow measure of a

department's teaching cache. And a few departments have

been hit undeniably hard: Carnegie Mellon, for example,

beginning in 1991, when computer operating system expert

Rick Rashid left to become MSR's first director. Since then,

"between 15 and 20 top people" followed, said Raj Reddy,

dean of Carnegie Mellon's computer science school. "You

never can completely recover from this," he added.

Still, Reddy is a member of Microsoft's high-tech advisory

board, a group of deans and department heads -- many of

whom, like Reddy, have been hurt by the company's talent

hunt. While seemingly at odds, Reddy's joint roles underscore

the mixed feelings of many in academia toward Microsoft. On

one hand, the company is depleting universities' staff. But on

the other, "Microsoft is not a clear-cut force for bad," said

David Dopkin, Princeton University's computer science

chairman. The company, he said, should be praised for

contributing to basic research at a time when other

corporations are cutting back.

Microsoft spends $3 billion a year on research and

development. Carnegie Mellon's total endowment, by

comparison, is $600 million. In recent years, the company has

opened basic research labs in Cambridge, England; Beijing;

and Silicon Valley. The main facility in Redmond, Building

31, has a giddy Nerd-in-Wonderland quality. Barefoot PhDs

mingle with computing legends such as Gordon Bell, the

computing pioneer of the 1960s, who last month was seen

fumbling with an office printer.

Company officials insist MSR is not at odds with the broader

goals of academia. Researchers often retain affiliations to their

former schools and the papers they publish benefit scholarship

in general. Likewise, the company has courted university

favor with $80 million a year in cash and software "gifts."

This is not pure altruism. Microsoft wants university scientists

to invent things that will support its software. (Until the

practice was stopped last year, Microsoft paid faculty

members a $200 "stipend" to lecture at conferences at which

their speeches were deemed sufficiently pro-Microsoft).

While universities might bemoan Microsoft's recruiting drive,

no one is forcing the professors to leave. In fact, they are

inundating Microsoft Research with job feelers , often through

former colleagues. Staff recruiter Steve Clyne said MSR

receives 50 to 200 such inquiries a month, and 80 percent of

those offered positions accept.

Base salaries -- well into six figures for senior researchers --

are on par with those at most major universities. But stock

options are the X-factor, and it doesn't take a Wolf Prize

winner to calculate the profits reaped by Microsoft

options-holders this decade.

"Stanford has stolen people from us before, but at least that

was a level playing field," said Princeton's Dopkin, who has

lost two top professors to Microsoft. "[Microsoft] is implicitly

saying, 'If you come here, in a few years, you will probably

be a millionaire.' "

Researchers insist they've not been lured merely by wealth. In

a dozen interviews last month, they characterized Building 31

as research nirvana, where ideas can transcend the numb

abstraction of academia and shape a mass market. Several

MSR innovations have found their way into software. For

example, Microsoft Office's "grammar checker" feature was

created with the help of the lab's natural language group.

"To me, this corporation is my power tool," said Steven

Shafer, a Microsoft researcher who came from Carnegie

Mellon in 1995. "It's the tool I wield to allow my ideas to

shape the world."

The abundant resources make for a collegial environment.

"Fights in academia could get pretty vicious because the pie

was so small," MSR cryptographer Josh Benaloh said.

Yet there still is ample pressure. Researchers periodically

undergo reviews from group leaders and managers. They are

rated on the quality of their ideas and papers, how active they

are in their disciplines (what conferences did they chair?) and

how well their work has contributed -- or will contribute -- to

the company's pursuits.

They also must endure a less formal but perhaps more

profound evaluation. It comes from a one-man faculty review

board named Bill Gates.

Two or three times a year, the World's Richest Man holes up

in a room with piles of accumulated reading. Called "think

week," Gates uses the time to devour trade journals, memos

and research papers -- many of them produced in Building 31.

He then volleys e-mail with his researchers. Gates recently

argued with one group on a physics phenomenon called

"incipient infinite cluster," according to MSR mathematician

Jennifer Tour Chayes, who was at the meeting. By the end of

the discussion, several white boards in Gates's boardroom

were covered with math equations.

After think week, MSR director Rashid receives a flurry of

e-mail from Gates. "He'll tell me what he's excited about and

what he's not excited about," Rashid said.

If one's work falls in the latter category, it can be

demoralizing. But it's healthy, too, Rashid said. "Bill's an

intelligent guy, and if he has an idea, you might want to listen

to him . . . If people don't tell you you're stupid periodically,

you lose your incentive to try hard."

Building 31 also is not immune from the siege mentality that

generally can mark Microsoft. "We're very much a whipping

boy in the academic community," said senior researcher Dan

Weise, who is exploring new software de-bugging tools.

Microsoft's row with the Justice Department hasn't helped.

Weise said he tries to stay focused on his research, not the

antitrust trial. "I can't help it if our lawyers are clueless,"

Weise said.

Researchers said the principal difference between Microsoft

Research and universities is the lack of students. Some

describe this as a big relief. Former Carnegie Mellon professor

Shafer, for example, said teaching steals from research time.

But others lament the loss and miss the implicit altruism of

teaching in an academy.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm abandoning my duty to students,"

Benaloh said.

"My annoyance with Microsoft is that there aren't 300 extra

great PhDs waiting to replace the people they steal," Dopkin

said.

UC-San Diego math chairman Jeffrey Rennel said the

departure of a faculty star, such as recent MSR hire Michael

Freedman, can multiply. "When you lose a Freedman, you

might have 13 or 15 top people under him whom he'll never

teach again," Rennel said. Often, he said, they leave, too.

Carnegie Mellon's Reddy said that when he complains to his

friends at Microsoft about faculty raids, they seem

incredulous. "They always talk about it being an open

market," he said. He jokes that perhaps Microsoft should just

offer $1 billion for Carnegie Mellon. Microsoft's Myhrvold

rules this out, saying, "I would never move to Pittsburgh."

But a department must learn to reinvent itself, Reddy said,

because Microsoft Research isn't going away. After it took

some of Carnegie Mellon's key robotics and

speech-recognition experts, Reddy looked to new fields. He

calls it the "natural order of things."

Now, Carnegie Mellon boasts a widely hailed electronic

commerce institute, where graduate students learn the fine

technical points of business on the World Wide Web. It is a

blossoming field and Reddy realizes that Microsoft is

especially interested. They could be coming around again

soon.

Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company