G Frank on NATO HYPOCRISY IN YUGOSLAVIA

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Apr 6 07:11:42 PDT 1999

> But for those who think the war of NATO should be opposed, on what
> reasonable basis can it now be opposed?

On the same reasonable basis, Chris, that NATO bombing could be opposed to begin with: It isn't working; it is making a bad situation worse. George Santayana famously noted that "fanaticism consists in redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your aim." A continued NATO offensive will not restore the status quo ante or, to put it more plainly, put the toothpaste back in the tube. In the Balkans, Clinton, Blair & Associates have wrought what I believe used to be known in Vietnam as a MOMMFU: a Monumental, Massive, Military Fuck-Up. It's time to acknowledge the obvious, stop the NATO bombing, get the UN active somehow, and see what can be done to minimize suffering and repair the material and diplomatic damage all around.

Carl Remick