Genocide

Rkmickey at aol.com Rkmickey at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 15:21:13 PDT 1999

Angela wrote:
>i'm just reading through this, and wondering if anyone else has seen it.
>if so, any comments? -angela]

>http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Paul.Treanor/genocide.html

>GENOCIDE, WORLD ORDER, AND STATE FORMATION

I read through this article & looked at a couple of the linked articles by Treanor, too, and have a couple of quick thoughts offhand. His look at genocide by "analogy to the historic crime of regicide" is an interesting take, I thought. He is right that at least those aspects of the law of genocide which prohibit the elimination of nation-states are conservative. He isn't specific on where his non-nationalist autonomous or sovereign spaces could be without coercing current residents, although he specifies that no one would be forced to live in such a place. He also doesn't really deal with the inequalities of power between nations and the possibility that not only the Genocide Convention but also the International Covenant of the Rights of Indeigeous Nations, to which he also objects, are self-denying ordinances insofar as stronger states actually bind themselves not to overpower smaller states or nations and abide by such rules. And his list of possible policies of a "future European state" such as compulsory multilingualism, etc., reads almost like it might have come from the civil service regulations of the "k.u.k." (Habsburg, Austro-Hungarian) state institutions of the early part of this century. But his larger point, that the restriction of legitimate state formation to nations should be questioned, is valid.

K. Mickey