No jobs, but great stock prices

Anderson, Bob band at unm.edu
Wed Apr 7 10:06:07 PDT 1999

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Margaret wrote:

> NEW YORK (CNNfn) - Job reductions continued at a record
> pace in March, with companies announcing 68,984 in the
> month, according to Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc.,
> an outplacement firm.
>
> March marked the 12th straight month in which job cuts
> were higher on a year-to-year basis. And it brought
> total job reductions for the past six months to a
> record 456,860.

But how can unemployment be at such low levels also, unless it is McJobs? But on the other hand the info age jobs are expanding at a rapid pace and they are generally better paying forms of employment. or are they? The era of slavery was also an era of full employment. Are we there again? These contending trends presented in fragments in the media are perplexing to the lay cyber man.